Thursday, November 17, 2005

French riots



I find the French riots very disturbing, not because I live in a city with a similar ethnic composition as Paris, but because of the way the developments have been presented through the media. They’ve twisted the reality in such a way that a lot of people don’t even know why the youth in French towns are burning cars or throwing stones at the police. Of course, I’m not talking about the critical media. But hey, who looks for anything else than CNN and other crappy channels, except for a small group?

I don’t support violence against innocent citizens. But I do like the idea behind this uprising. It’s the outrage of the underclass, the oppressed, and the dominated. It’s the classic Marx’s theory put in practice. Of course, a segment of the unrest may have been caused by people who have nothing better to do, but let’s not delegitimize the protests entirely.

The way the riots have been presented in the media is, however, is a completely different story. First of all, the media have transformed the problem from an issue related to social-economical class to a multi-cultural drama. In doing this, they have placed the riots at the heart of the current public discourse in Europe about the multi-cultural society. Indeed, in the beginning, the riots were caused by “youth in underdeveloped neighborhoods”, then they suddenly changed it to “immigrant youth”, and a few days later the media were talking about “Muslim youth”. It was only then that the media could “really” blame the protesters. Within a few days time, people were already talking about the multi-cultural catastrophe in Paris, wondering why the hell these Muslims can’t integrate in their oh so great society and fearing an expansion of the riots to other European cities. The public opinion didn’t need much evidence. The fear of Muslims is intuitive, always there and easily activated. There was no mention of the fact that African French people were also taking part in the riots, no mention of the fact that those people who were screaming on streets, have been treated as second rank citizens all their lives, no mention of the fact that they have been left to perish in nasty neighborhoods with no prospect on a job or a decent life. What goes around comes around, folks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE POST!
I agree with you dude... It seems like multiculturalism is freaking the hell out of the French government.
Last night I saw a report on TV [not CNN] that the Germans got a very similar problem with integration of immigrants to the German society.
Well, the German thing is not that surprising at all, but The French?
Hmmm, that's a bit weird! Coz I always thought that the Frenchies are not Germans!

Dr O2 said...

nice post Hydra. It is truely stupid how the media guide the stories towards what seems ok with them. It somewhat seems reality is a lost figure these days while Media guided life is taking over(if not completely already)

The easiest get away clause in any story these days seems to be being a muslim!!!

Anonymous said...

Good point, nice arguments.
However I do think that it's cultural related. I may live in the netherlands but I still do experience that the groups who look for eachother and stay together, don't integrate at all they create their own little culture we see it happen everywhere, china town for example.. Because they dont integrate they may not learn ''our'' culture and ''our'' language well enough the be ''capable'' enough to work in our culture.. Because they dont speak the language the authorities can not directly discuss a way to setle the differences.. hensforth there is no way to salve the problems!

Anonymous said...

Check this out from Mr. Behi's blog: http://mrbehi.blogs.com/i/2005/11/riots_in_france.html

I'm thinking this is the mentality that the French, German, and perhaps all the former colonists cling to. It wouldn't surprise me if the ignorance shown towards the 'second-class' citizens stems from racism, or at least some sort of enduring sense of superiority.

Hydra said...

Hi Farzad,

That's a good point. I think France, with its "civilisation" and unified idea of the Republic, requires a far greater assimilation of the immigrants than countries such as Germany. And Germany... I think they've just come to be known as a country with a bad reputation. In reality I don't think they are any worse than other countires. A recent study even suggests that Turkish immigrants in Germany are happier and better adjusted than those in Holland...
_____

Dear Omid,

I know... It's truly stupid what the media is doing. I thought I knew what to expect now, but each time I'm just surprised how far they can go.

"Being a Muslim", hell... That' on its way to be on the list of the things one should not mention on the first date...

-----

Dear Thomas,

It would be nice if we had a politically informed definition of "integration". Whenever i hear that word in the public debate, I just can't figure out what the hell they're talking about: adjustment, assimilation, what? I agree that language is very important, but I don't think that the social network is as important as you suggest. I've known people who didn't have any native friends, and were yet "capable" members of the society and tax payers.

Hydra said...

Hi Shiva,

I hear you... Racism has never left the modern socities, it has only partly become implicit and subtle.

Thanks for the reference. I couldn't really figure out what position Mr. Behi takes on this whole issue. But I guess he doesn't share my view :(